This might come as a surprise, but since we are broke ground yesterday I can finally say it! We are building a house! It is the first time for both of us, and it is something that we have been talking about for quite a long time now.
I’m going to be sharing the process here and over on Instagram, mainly because I FREAKING love interior decorating, as well as design.
If you had told me that I would be moving into the country a few years ago, I would have laughed at you! After living in a populated area, the time has come to just get out of the mess. The house will be on five acres that are mostly wooded, and pretty far off the beaten path.
While it might take me longer to get to Target, the peace and quiet will be worth it. Not to mention, our dogs are going to love the space, and it gives me a reason to adopt every Great Pyrenees that I can find! The house is tucked back into the trees so it is not fully visible from the road as well!
We actually designed the house ourselves. It started with a whiteboard and an Expo marker, and it has become reality. A few months ago we met with a draftsman who took our wonky drawing and turned it into a full blow houseplan.
It’s going to be a three bedroom, three and a half bath with tons of room to spend time with friends and family. I’m going to have my own area to work in, and a huge kitchen so that I can continue to be the worst baker that I can be.
What’s in the future
When I say I’m going to share everything, I mean it! I think that most people go into building their first homes not knowing what to expect, and I hope that this will be a resource for someone in the future. Everything is going be picked by us from the bathroom tile to the flowers in the garden.
A few things I am loving for the new house
- While I fully love this couch from Article, I found this cheaper alternative while I was browsing Ikea. A tan leather sectional is something that I love!
- I knew going into the actual design process that I didn’t want traditional faucets. This Champagne Bronze from Delta is what we are having in all bathrooms expect for the master!
- New York City is a place that is close to both of us, and somewhere that we travel quite often! I thought it would be a cute idea to get an art print of all of the places we have vistited together. I’m obsessed with this one from Etsy!
- Statement lighting fixtures have always been one of my obsessions. I am completely obsessed with this gorgeous light from Serena & Lily. As a matter of fact, I love just about everything on the site!
- This entire tiled bistro-esque line from Anthropologie not only looks clean and chic, but it also reminds me of one of my favorite restaurants in NYC!