Blogging is so much fun, and I encourage everyone to do it! Most bloggers fail because of simple blogging mistakes that can actually be avoided! It has been three years since I launched my first blog, and I can assure you that there were TONS of mistakes. I’m totally going to ignore the past here, but I am ready to share the biggest mistakes that I was making to save you time, money, and your sanity!
You’re talking to the wrong audience!
WOW! When I think back over the years, I was totally unaware of how important the right audience was to your blogging success. This is even worse considering that I studied marketing. There were so many times where I was writing content that I thought was great, but literally, no one was reading them. NO ONE! Over the years, I’ve been able to find my niche which is a great blogging tip! By finding my niche, I was able to find an audience that actually cared about my content and engaged with it.
If you’re concerned that you might be making this blogging mistake, there is a simple way to figure it out!
- Do a quick analysis of your content. This includes your blog and social media!
- Identify what people are engaging with. What are they commenting on? What Instagram images get the most likes? Write down what category those pieces of content fall into.
- Find out what is not working! If something isn’t connecting with your audience, then you’re probably wasting your time with that. Personally, I’m all about utilizing my time to its’ full potential!
Point Blank: Your Social Strategy Sucks
That might be a little harsh, but it is true! Social media is the biggest tool that we have as content creators. It is free marketing that we can share our brand, connect with our target audience, and just be ourselves. As much as I hate to admit it, it is pretty much impossible to just publish content and hope that someone stumbles upon it. One of the worst blogging mistakes you can make is not realizing how big the blogging industry actually is.
Once I figured out a strategy that worked for me, I started using it. I saw IMMEDIATE results, I’m not even kidding! My numbers shot up, my engagement was higher, and I saw my social channel growing. Not only were they following me on social platforms, but they were becoming email subscribers as well!
- Find out what social platforms your audience is using!
- At the same time, figure out your strengths! If you’re great at video, then select those platforms. Maybe you’re amazing at creating viral tweets! Instagram is a huge tool for bloggers!
- Thanks to analytics, you can see when your audience is online and engaging!
- Utilize social media scheduling tools! They are life-changing!
You’re not giving anything back
Every day, I always think about how wild it is that people actually take the time to look at my blog. The world is a busy place, and one of the worst blogging mistakes you can make is taking that for granted. This kind of stems back to the first point I made in finding the right audience. Once you find them, make sure you’re providing value! Share your tips, advice, opinions, or whatever you want to write about. I’ve shared a few tips about providing value to your reader in this post here!
You’re not being yourself
The blogging industry is popular. It seems like everyone I know is popping up with a blog, and honestly, that’s fine with me! It’s so fun! In the world of content creation, the best thing you can do is just to be yourself. I spent a good amount of my first year of blogging just trying to fit in. This is an important time to say that what works for someone else might not work for you. Find your own path, you’ll be thanking yourself for it later!